With the presence that technology and social media has in the lives of virtually each and every person today, online marketing strategies are a no-brainer option to get the word out about your business to a large, diverse audience. Referral programs offer a lifeline for a company’s digital marketing campaign as it allows people who trust and love your brand to take extra steps to get the word out about your business and further your organization’s legitimacy. With this being said, do the research and decide which of the 25 different referral marketing programs would work best for you and your valuable customers. With a good strategy, the benefits of a customer referral program are virtually ensured.
Take a look at the most popular and successful referral programs to see if any of them spark ideas for your business.
- PayPal: Paypal literally gave away free money in order to get the word out about their service, and it worked out great for them. In addition, this was before social media!
- Dropbox: Modeled after PayPal, Dropbox’s referral program attracted 4 million users in 15 months.
- Airbnb: A single user in China led a referral charge for thousands of signups and hundreds of bookings in a single month.
- Uber: They have a unique strategy of running multiple referral programs at once – for both users and for drivers.
- Tesla: They provide a $1,000 incentive for both advocates and referred friends, with quite a star-studded list of advocates!
- Amazon Prime: Likely one of the most heavily used referral programs in recent times.
- Google: When the front page of the Internet decides to run a referral program, it is worth looking into.
- Ever note: Their referral program relies on a point system.
- Riff Raff & Co: From a simple home business, Riff Raff grew to a million-dollar business with word-of-Mum.
Let us see what industries make use of referral programs.
- Most Successful Referral Program Examples- Famously successful ones, such as Dropbox, Airbnb and Uber.
- Ecommerce Referral Program Examples– Huge category, split into the following subcategories:
- Fashion Referral Program Examples– Including everything from flash discount sites to watches and designer sneakers.
- Health & Beauty Referral Program Examples– We’re looking at subscription boxes (makeup, skincare), beard care products, specialty razors.
- Electronics & Gadgets Referral Program Examples– Cutting-edge hardware, including smart luggage, phone cases.
- Food & Beverage Referral Program Examples– Food delivery, detox tea packages, no tropic powders.
- E-cigarettes and Vaporizers Referral Program Examples– E-cigarettes and vaporizers.
- Home & Pets Referral Program Examples– Mattresses, beddings, furniture and pet supplies.
- Education & Training Referral Program Examples– engineering toys, educational boxes and bar exam flashcards.